Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Taking in a thrift store pencil skirt

 
I have been wanting a cute grey pencil skirt for sometime. I ordered some from H&M but ended up sending them back because they were too short. Then last month I saw one for $3 at a thrift store. It was a few sizes too big and was really long- like a midi pencil skirt. But for three bucks I figured I could take it in and shorten the length. Trust me when I tell you I am not a professional seamstress.
But I figured if I ruined it I would only be out $3.

 This is the before, there was about 2.5 inches on each side that needed to be taken off. I took in the hips/sides since I have nothing to fill them in. I turned the skirt inside out and pinned where I wanted to do my seam. I started at the waist  and sewed all the way to the bottom of the skirt. I did one side and then tried it on again. then did the other side.
This is the skirt after taking in the sides. It is a little fitted at the bottom and the length was still long which made it hard to walk in. I cut off a few inches and hemmed it. remember you can always cut more off but you can't put more back on.
 I am happy with how it turned out. A perfect little pencil skirt just for me :)
Also I just got this perfect little Mossimo tee at Target. They are on sale for $5!!
I also got these darling animal print flats at Target this week for $12. They are going to be perfect for fall, they go with everything.
Thanks for stopping by.
Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I think I need to go to target and a thrift store now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute outfit! I am glad you cut some length off the bottom- the finished skirt suits you perfectly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, Do for sure. These shoes are seriously a steal for under $20! Thanks for being so supportive and commenting. I love comments!!

    ReplyDelete