Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Old window tutorial

I have wanted some old windows for ever!! I was sick of looking on KSL.com so I made some. I am so excited because I used this awesome technique to age your new wood to look old.
Pour one to two cups white vinegar in a jar and put steel wool in it and close the lid. Let is sit for a day or two and then with a brush or foam bruch paint onto your naked wood (nothing can be on the wood like a varnish or glue ect.) it will make your wood look like it's been laying out in the elements for years..

Below are the two window frames I made the top one has "the mixture" on it. The bottom one does not, the longer it sat there the older it got, imagine that! The wood kinda has a vinegar smell to it..(fyi)
After letting them dry a few hours I painted a few coats of Valspar white paint. Then I used this bad boy to chip and scrape off the paint to make it look really old and worn. This is the greatest tool under ten dollars it is called the 5 in one painters tool.
other than the spray paint handle, which practically saves my life every time I use spray paint.


(Pic from Renewedspace.blogspot.com)

OLD WINDOW
What youll need:
* 2x2 wood boards for the outside frame
 * 1x 1/2 boards for the panes
* foam roller or brushes( I used roller to get a thick layer of paint)
* Paint
 if you want the chicken wire and a small tack gun

Cut to any size you want and lay them out on the floor use a nail gun or screws to hook together I used both.
wood glue- I used this kind.
add the vinegar steel wool mixture and then the paint. use the 5 in 1 tool to scrape and chip your window, the more chipping the older the window will look.

I think I might add another few boards accross the middle of this one and made six panes and then maybe some glass.
 Sorry about the glare on the pictures
Here is a close up of the paint chipped away. I also spray painted the chicken wire to make it show up more.
You can router the inside so you can put glass in it but that is one tool I have not learned how to use..yet!

TO DO LIST
Learn how to use a rounter.

-Lindsay


12 comments:

  1. Those turned out great, Lindsay! Thanks for the how to. I'm gonna give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the idea of making your own windows! They can be so hard to find- and expensive when you do find them! Definitely pinning this idea- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just lovely. I like your shabby-chic work:)
    Sibel-ish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I love your style! And i love that you don't actually need an old window to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both windows look brilliant, aged to perfection. Years ago someone brought me one of those 5 in one tools from the US, it was the best thing ever - so useful. Unfortunately I lost it, or maybe someone borrowed it accidentally !!!!
    Thanks for sharing - Fiona@justpaintitwhite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing that technique. I bookmarked the page for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! I can't wait to try it and see if I can get the same type of results. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your post. It’s a lot like college – we should absorb everything we can but ultimately you need to take what you’ve learned and apply it.
    Mercedes Benz 300CD AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much did it cost for all the supplies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m glad that I stumbled upon your blog ‘cause I didn’t know there is such a technique like that. I’m excited to use that on the wood that we have here. I’m also planning to make a vintage window that will be placed in our bathroom as a towel rack. Well, I hope I can do that properly. Fingers crossed. :)

    [ Herb Koguchi ]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old windows aren’t that much of a waste since they can be transformed into something creative like this. Thanks for this tutorial and I think I can now do something with all those old chippy windows that are placed in our garage. I’m thinking about another crafty project that I can make. Well, I hope I can follow the steps that you’ve posted and come up with a nice result. :)

    -Roxie Tenner-

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! This is a great recycling tip that I think even my kids can enjoy! Well, they won’t be allowed to hold the tools, but I guess they can find their best picture to be placed in the wall décor. I think it’s good timing that we have old windows in our garage and I think it’s time to start making the décor! :D

    -Lida Swisher-

    ReplyDelete