Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kitchen table... (refinished)

I decided the other day (about 3 weeks ago) that I was going to redo my kitchen table. I love cream country tables but didn't want to buy a new one. So out came the trusty can of primer & paint (FOXTROT from Lowes-Vlaspar brand) I had previously had painted the wood top because my cute little boy got ahold of a black sharpie marker and went agro on my table. So I just painted the top black like the rest of the table and called it good (but with my ever changing mind) I decided again to redo it.. yes I know I am so special!!

I sanded the top down to the bare wood as shown in the picture, not the funnest to do but it had to be done and my buddy the belt sander made a huge difference!. mmmm the smell of wood and saw dust...I love it!
This is the BEFORE of my table..
sorry for the one cream chair I was checking to see if I would like it :)

                                                        Here is the AFTER!
               Isn't it SOOOOO much more me!  I am truly "in love" with my new table & chairs!
                               A close up of the top... I just love the cream and the wood together.



I wish that I could tell you that this was very simple but I had some PROBLEMS along the way. The black was a pain to cover up, but the hardest part was the top. I love Minwax Gel Stain in Walnut. I only had a small can but thought I had enough for the top...WRONG!!! I ran out half way through... grrrrrrrrrr! I looked everywhere for the same color in the gel stain... as a few weeks passed I went to Lowes to see if they could order me some-yes I was told it could be ordered. WRONG again!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! A few days later Lowes called telling me they couldn't just order a can for one cusomer.. grrrrrrrr!

So I took the bull by the horns and called Minwax myself(what I should have done in the first place). they gave me a list of local stores that carry my beloved gel stain! hip hip hooray! so I ran (drove actually) down to Sherwin Williams and picked it up & finnished my table.
Sorry for the long story, but with the good comes the bad. My hubby is glad all this is over- we couldnt eat on our table for like 2 weeks, now we can!
Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
                                   Take care,
                                        Lindsay

26 comments:

  1. so cute...I want mine black...we should have just traded :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! That looks amazing! I wish I didn't paint my kitchen table....I should of stained the top darker like you....but you did a great job and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's so great! When our kitchen is redone this year, we'll have cream cabinets, so I keep thinking I want a black table in the space. Your transformations looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! All that hard work looks worth it!

    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the after. It is way better, especially with the wood top. I popped over to see if you posted pictures of your herb pots! Glad I did! You have a great blog.

    Thanks,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job!! It looks beautiful. The hard work sure paid off. Thanks for sharing, you are inspiring me to do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS. As always. :) You wanna come do mine now? I'm SO scared to touch mine. Annnd I LOVE the spring table setting. LOVE. Makes me want to decorate for Easter already, even though Easter is later this year... oh well, maybe I'll do it anyway. Who's telling me I can't, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job...looks beautiful...I recently painted my dining room set. It is alot of work, but worth it. Check out my blog to see it....thanks and happy weekend,
    Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog, and for your sweet comments.
    Glad to have found yours....I've already got you listed as a favorite.
    I plan to paint my kitchen table this summer so I found this post to be very helpful. Thank you. Hope mine turns out as cute as yours.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing-you did a great job on it!! I love it in white with the darker top- thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You table set looks gorgeous! I have a set I've been wanting to paint (re-do) exactly like this, and your after pics really have me itchin' to get started. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, it's beautiful! I just decided a week or so ago that I was going to do exactly this to our table!! How did you paint the rest?? Primer + paint? with a brush... roller?? I'm a newbie and need help!

    Our chairs have lots of detail too, so I'm considering spraying them. Oh, and did you put something else on top?

    Love the stain, I might have to use the same one! Thanks!!

    sarah8914 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks gorgeous. All your hard work paid off. you will be enjoying that table for a long time. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your table! I wandered over from Shanty-2-Chic. You do great work and I look forward to seeing more since I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great table! Saw it on Twitter, found on Pinterest!

    Jen
    www.dishesandsocks.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wandered over from Pinterest. Love your table. I have redone my table three times trying to get it to look like this. For some reason I cant get the stain to absorb well. I have used stripper and sanded and sanded and sanded! What is your secret?? Please share...

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA! So remember when I told you I wanted to copy pretty much everything you have on here? Ummmm.....confession time: I TOTALL HAVE THAT SAME TABLE! Stained the top, painted the legs heirloom white :) haha And I've been hunting for the perfect chairs....which....are....the same ones you have :):) So you should let me know where I would go about gettin' me some saaawwweeeeet chairs like that. I can't wait to show you pics of all the projects I've been tackling, you'll be so proud! Love your stuff. I'm making the Ballard Shelves this weekend @ my mama's place. I'll have to show you some pics @ church on Sunday. THAT'S RIGHT! Mama Meg is hittin' up the 5th ward! WOOOOOT. (can I get an award for the "longest comment EVER"?!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is this dark walnut or just walnut

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is this dark walnut or just walnut

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful! I just love it SO much! :) I am thinking about doing this to an old kitchen table that will be given to us...but my husband is concerned about having white chairs. Just curious - how have yours held up?

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey there. I love your table set and I am considering redoing mine and I was just curious, did you spray paint the chairs or paint them all with a brush? Thank you :)
    rhetillman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey there. I love your table set and I am considering redoing mine and I was just curious, did you spray paint the chairs or paint them all with a brush? Thank you :)
    rhetillman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. did you put a glaze or any protective coat on top?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely table! What color paint did you use on the legs? What is your method for staining/painting/distressing? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete