Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New beadboard backsplash in Kitchen

I really wanted to change the backsplash in my kitchen, but didn't have a huge budget to work with. This whole project cost me $35!.  Whoot, whoot! Yep $35!
The beadborad was cut and bought at Lowes for $20. The MDF boards were $13 and the outlet extenders were $2. I glued the beadborad to the formica and then hot glued the base MDF to the beadboard and painted it white. What a difference! It brightenes my whole kitchen up.
Before

After
Before
After
Before                                                                             After
Above-the new curtain rod was 3$. Don't laugh (okay, go ahead and laugh) the wood brackets were $3 at Lowes and the rod is a PVC pipe (my hubby is a plumber and it was free) I spray painted  it with Brown camoflauge paint (flat) it looks just like a metal rod. he he he!
 I wanted to show you how it lined up under the cabinets it as a tight fit but that is how I wanted it.

 I was a bit nervous about the holes for the outlets as you can see they are not perfect or evn a little perfect, but it wont matter when the cover is on. I also had to put outlet extenders behind the outlets to make then come flush with the beasdboard. yes I got shocled four times... grrrr I was getting so mad. Putting the extenders on was the hardest part. I used my kids play dough on the 4 corners of the outlet and pushed the beadboard up to it to mark on back where to make the squares. Then drilled 4 holes in each corner to get a start and then uses a jig saw to cut the rest out.

Oh, I love it so much and love even more that it was only $35!







20 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I love how much brighter you kitchen looks. Sorry you got zapped so many times. Electricity doesn't like me either. Or maybe it likes us too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin good! We are planning to do the same in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome~love white bead board!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! I'd love to try this in my own kitchen...you've done a super job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! We are planning on buying a couple of sheets of the faux brick paneling and painting it white to use as our backsplash in our "new" kitchen. Yours looks wonderful and now you've got me all excited to hurry up and get mine done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great...so much brighter....I want to do this in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look! I was thinking of doing this in my kitchen but was unsure... You have made up my mind!! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic job! I think you and I have the same decor taste, for that reason...and bc this is all so fantastic, I'm your newest follower! can't wait to read on to your newer posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh fantastic! I'm wanting to put this in my kitchen. I love the way it looks. You did an awesome job.

    In the Pursuit of Cuter Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, this looks great! i'm bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out fantastic! I love how it brightens up your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely lovely lovely...I'm just adoring your backsplash now. well done girl!

    would love to have you swing by for a visit sometime!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANK YOU! You just solved my black splash problem in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow what the cuteness!! :-) You amaze me Linds, to think you did this all on your own! (I would HAVE to have Bretts help for anything regarding wood). You will need to help me put up wainscoting too in my entre way someday (when we "somewhere over the rainbow" move up!:-)
    You have inspired me to make something out of beatboard for the kids (I will have to talk to you in person for a little pointers)...anyhow...LOVING IT!
    oh and by the way, make sure to keep it super clean right off the bat...my beadboard kitchen cabinets drive me NUTS, because I can never keep them clean...(I should have been better when we first got them, than I wouldn't be complaining now 5 yrs later). But knowing how spick and span your home is, I know you will not have that problem;-) wow...that was a long post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so great! I painted my cabinets black last summer and I love them, but the backsplash has been on my mind ever since. We only have a 4 inch backsplash of formica, hopeing I can just attach the beadboard over it. what kind of adhesive did you use? And over on the far right where the beadboard extends beyond your cabinets, how did you finish the top and edge of the beadboard? I'm going to have that issue in a couple of places. Thanks for sharing, seriously inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The white brightens up the kitchen so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a fantastic kitchen. This design is perfect for my house too. It looks super functional without looking industrial or sterile. The counter tops are amazing and I love the cabinet paint color. Great job in there!
    house for sale philippines

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beadboard is a fantastic, inexpensive way to really pump up the finished look of a kitchen even a bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great! What size of board did you put on the bottom of the beadboard? I like it.

    ReplyDelete