Friday, November 7, 2014

Sheath Dress Refashion

I bought this sheath dress last month at Old Navy for $6. It was about 5 inches too short and it didn't have sleeves.  So......... in my closet it sat all month
.
Adding legnth and sleeves
First I went to Joann's and purchased some fabric. I chose this grey herringbone pattern. It was $2 a yard. I purchased 1 1/2 yards.
I laid my fabric and dress on the floor and measured the width of the bottom of the dress adding a 1/2 an inch for my seam allowance. I needed to add at least 5 inches to the bottom so I did 5 1/2 inches.

 Sleeves
 For the sleeves I laid my dress out on the grey fabric and traced some new sleeves cut them out and sewed them to my dress using the existing hem of the sleeve on the dress for lining it up.
 I did a double hem so that the two pieces laid flat against each other.
sleeve
 other sleeve
 top

I am really happy with how this turned out. It is the perfect dress for me. Have a great weekend!
-Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. thanks I am a little taller than most girls and I find store bought dresses to short this is a great idea. I will definitely give this a go

    ReplyDelete