Sunday, November 25, 2018

DIY CHRISTMAS TREE BOX

I'm so excited to share my DIY Christmas tree box with you today. I've been on the hunt for a tree basket or box or something to go under the tree in my bedroom and I didn't want to pay a lot for one. So I made my own. 
My tree was already set up and decorated so I needed something that I could slip over the stand that came with my tree. All the baskets I had were too small. 







  

 I just used what I had on hand. It would have been more simple to just use a 1x12x18 but I didn’t have one so I made my own. but if you are going to make this box I'd just use a larger piece of wood.


 I decided on a 3 sided box that I could just slide right over my tree stand. I measured my tree stand that came with my tree. 

 It was just about 17.5 inches square. And from the carpet to the bottom branches was about 11.5 inches tall. I wanted to cover as much of the tree stand as possible so I made mine a bit taller and big enough to cover the stand.


After making my 3 sided box I stained it with Min-wax Provincial mixed with Min-wax Classic Gray. I usually add Weathered oak too But I couldn’t find mine so I just mixed the first 2 colors. I use wet wipes to stain and plastic gloves. I wanted my box to be lightly stained. So I lightly rubbed to wood and quickly rubbed it off. Stain the inside and outside. Let dry in a well ventilated area. Then just slide the box over your exhorting tree stand. And that’s it. Enjoy your new wood box tree stand!

                                             

 I always mix my own stains because I can’t ever find just the right one. Stains are tricky because different woods pull different colors. I like to add gray to most of my stain mixtures to tone down the red that is in a lot of wood types.


Isn't she pretty! I am so happy with how it turned out. 







Thanks for stopping by. If you make a tree box let me know I'd love to see it!
Have a great week!

-L I N D S A Y

No comments:

Post a Comment