Thursday, November 9, 2017

How to flock a Christmas tree with real Flock



You guys I'm so excited to share my newly flocked trees with you!
 I recently flocked a few trees that I've had for about 15 years. My husband bought the for me when we were just married. we used them as out Christmas tree for a few years then bought a bigger one. But I kept these and used them outside on my porch for years. They were still in really good condition but I wanted a change. I love flocked trees, a lot! I know that might not surprise a lot of your because I love white anything. Flocking these two trees were easier than I expected. One is 6ft. and the other is 4ft.
Before
After

Supplies you'll need
 
1. Large spray bottle, I bought mine for $1 at Walmart. 
 2. One large measuring cup (to scoop the flock from the bag into the strainer)
3. Winco MS3A-8D Strainer with Double Fine Mesh, 8-Inch Diameter  $9.72 on Amazon.com


4. Sno-Bond Flock for $26.99 on Amazon.com 
                                                                                                                    

I did my flocking outside because it was nice weather and it's easier to clean up. The first thing is to make sure your tree is clean of all dust and dirt. I put my trees in the shower a few days before and washed them in warm water then let them dry. If you can't fit your tree in the shower then wipe down  with a damp cloth. let dry fully. I put my lights back on my tree and went to work.
 
 First, You'll lightly spray the section you'll be working on with water. Only a light misting so the Sno-Bond will stick. I started at the bottom and worked my way up. I went above the branches and shook the Sno-bond on top of the branches, just like real snow falling, then spraed more water lightly. I did less flock as I got in toward the trunk of the tree. I shook with one hand, sprayed with the other until it was how I liked it then moved to another section. My strainer did get wet and the flock got stuck to it a few times so I just ran it under hot water until the flock was gone, then dried it with my hair dryer, very scientific I know! 
 
Be sure to give your whole tree a light spray down with water at the end, that's what activates the Sno-Bond and makes it stick to the tree. let your tree dry 24 hours before decorating.
I flocked my tree with the lights on it. I wanted the lights cord to be as hidden as possible.
 
 
Here is during the process. I let mine dry a half  hour and then repeated the process again. I like my flock heave on the ends and tops, like real snow piled up on the branches. After my tree dried I bent the branched sown a bit so it looked like the snow was weighing it down.

 If you decide to flock with your lights on you will want to go back and peel the flocking off the bulbs, it comes off the lights really easy. some of the light strands are still visible but I will cover them with my decorations.
I am so happy with how these 2 tree turned out. I love the flocking. It does come off a bit but not as much as I thought it would.

 Happy Flocking!!
These trees are going in my bedroom for Christmas this year and I can't wait to decorate them!! Eeeeek! Flocked goodness!



No comments:

Post a Comment